Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:41:13 -0700
Cc: GDB <gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com>, binutils@lucon.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
"H . J . Lu" wrote:

> What is the better debug format for Linux/mips in the terms of gdb
> and binutils, stabs or ecoff? I know the future is dwarf2. But I need
> something stable now. Since Linux/x86 uses stabs, I lean toward to
> stabs. Any comments?

Go with stabs and ELF.  Neither ecoff's base file format nor the debug
info were particularly well-documented (I remember some of the bits in
GNU being figured out by reverse engineering!), perpetuating it will
just make your life more difficult in the long run.  It will also be
easier to move to dwarf2 when the opportunity arises.

Stan