Re: SGI Challenge S Serial Port (zs0) Driver question

To: Robert Rusek <robru@teknuts.com>
Subject: Re: SGI Challenge S Serial Port (zs0) Driver question
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:09:41 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:59:11AM -0700, Robert Rusek wrote:

> I am trying to install RedHat 5.1 Linux on my Challenge.  I finally got the
> kernel to boot from the prom via bootp/tftp.  The loading of the kernel stops
> with the following messag:
>
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
> The HOW-TO states the following:

> This problem has two possible solutions. First make sure you actually have a
> driver for the console of your system configured. If this is the case and the
> problem persists you probably got victim of a widespead bug in Linux
> distributions and root filesystems out there. The console of a Linux systems
> should be a character device of major id 5, minor 1 with permissions of 622
> and owned by user and group root. If that's not the case, cd to the root of
> the filesystem and execute the following commands as root:
>
>    rm -f dev/console
>    mknod --mode=622 dev/console
>

> You can also do this on a NFS root filesystem, even on the NFS server itself.
> However note that the major and minor ids are changed by NFS, therefore you
> must do this from a Linux system even if it's only a NFS client or the major
> / minor ID might be wrong when your Linux client boots from it.
>

> I have followed the above instructions and still I get:
>
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
> I would assume then that I need a special driver for for the serial port
> (zs0).  Just to clarify I am connecting a terminal to the serial port of the
> Challenge.

The standard SGI serial driver (CONFIG_SGI_SERIAL) supports the serial ports
of the Challenge S also.  Only if this one is configured you'll get all
the output upto ``Warning: unable to open ...'' printed onto the serial
console.  You also should see a message about two serial interfaces
being detected.

PS: Pressing the return character once every ~ 75 characters produces
    properly formatted mails ...