Re: Troubles in r2300.c

To: Alexandr Andreev <andreev@niisi.msk.ru>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: Troubles in r2300.c
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:34:04 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Alexandr Andreev wrote:

> In the r2300.c ,in some functions ( like the r3k_cache_size and so on ),
> the
> CONFIG register is modified. To return this register to initial state, the
> save_and_cli(flags) and the restore_flags(flags) functions are used. The
> restore_flags do not modify whole STATUS register, but only the
> Interrupt Enable
> bit. So we should use the read_32bit_cp0_register and the
> write_32bit_cp0_register
> functions instead ( like it was in linux-2.4.1 ).

 Sh*t!  Why do people keep "fixing" things they did not break, especially
when no one is watching???  The functions were already discussed back in
January or so and I already explained why read/write functions are needed
instead of cli/restore!

 I think I'll cook up a patch with a few explicit comments so nobody
touches the code unless he know what he is doing.

 Ralf, please apply the patch ASAP.  Thanks.

  Maciej