mips gas is horribly broken

Subject: mips gas is horribly broken
From: "H . J . Lu" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:18:46 -0700
Around line 9544 in gas/config/tc-mips.c, there are

        if (value != 0 && ! fixP->fx_pcrel)
            /* In this case, the bfd_install_relocation routine will
               incorrectly add the symbol value back in.  We just want
               the addend to appear in the object file.
               FIXME: If this makes VALUE zero, we're toast.  */
            value -= S_GET_VALUE (fixP->fx_addsy);

I spent several days trying to figure out why libstdc++ was miscompiled
on Linux/mipsel. That was because value was zero. That is totally
unacceptable for gas to knowingly generate incorrect binaries. At
least, we should do

            value -= S_GET_VALUE (fixP->fx_addsy);
            assert (value != 0);

But I'd like to fix it once for all. Does anyone have any suggestions?