Newbie Question, Please help

To: <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Newbie Question, Please help
From: "Robert Rusek" <robru@teknuts.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:08:42 -0700
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I just got a SGI Challenge S.  I need advice on which flavor of Linux I should install, RedHat or Debian.  Which is the better choice.  I also need to find out how to install this.  I already attempted and failed to install the RedHat 5.1.  I am using a RedHat 7.0 box to do the install (bootp/tftp/nfs) but I am not even able to get the setup to run.  I am using the latest version of DHCP/BOOTP (ics 2.0) to try to boot.  It gets the address then claims it is sending the vmlinux file via tftp.  On the SGI it just times out.

Any advice, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Robert Ruserk