Re: Native compile on the target using RedHat 6.1 rpms - Update

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Native compile on the target using RedHat 6.1 rpms - Update
From: Wayne Gowcher <wgowcher@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I found out what was breaking the compile :

I was setting -mcpu=r4600 -mips2. If I leave this off
everything compiles OK, but now the code isn't
optimized for the processor and does run slower ( of
course).

I also noted that if I use :
-mcpu=r4000 -mips2

I get the error :

/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cca007591.o: ISA mismatch (-mips3)
with previous modules (-mips1)
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cca007591.o: uses different e_flags
(0x102) fields than previous modules (0x2)
Bad value: failed to merge target specific data of
file /tmp/cca007591.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Which I totally don't understand because I never set
mips3 I set mips2.

I am coming to the conclusion that :

the egcs-1.03a compiler as found on the sgi web site
only supports mips 1.

Can someone confirm or deny this ?

If that is so, how does anyone compile native mips2
code ? You have to build your own compiler / libraries
?

If anyone has / knows of an egcs-1.03a or higher
compiler capapble of compiling mips2 I'd really like
to hear from them.

TIA

Wayne