Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:37:09 -0700
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>,
"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2001, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
> > Use a global variable testable by the inline code?
>  With both variants inlined?  Now that's really ugly.

I think system V requires _test_and_set() being included in the libsys dynamic
library.  Does Linux want to be sysv compatible?  If so, we should removed the
inlined _test_and_set().

> > >  Are vr41xx plain ISA I or crippled ISA II+ CPUs?
> >
> > Actually, they are crippled MIPS III+ 64-bit CPUs
>  Then an ll/sc and lld/scd emulation seems to be most appropriate here.  I
> don't think we want to add _test_and_set() to mips64*-linux.

64 bit is a overkill for the pityful vr41xx CPUs.

The need for kernel emulated test_and_set() in 64bit kernel is not obvious
yet, and hopefully will never come.