Re: Surprise! (Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

To: Jun Sun <>, Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Surprise! (Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:34:26 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Joe deBlaquiere <>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <>,
On Fri, 25 May 2001, Jun Sun wrote:

> Alright, I rolled my sleeve and digged into IRIX 6.5, and guess what?
> sysmips() does NOT have MIPS_ATOMIC_SET (2001) on IRIX!  See the header below.

 I remember Ralf writing of this being a compatibility call with RISC/OS
(is it the original OS of MIPS, Inc.?), IIRC.  Ralf: am I right?

> So apparently MIPS_ATOMIC_SET was invented for Linux only, probably just to
> implement _test_and_set().  (It would be interesting to see how IRIX implement
> _test_and_set() on MIPS I machines.  However, the machine I have access uses
> ll/sc instructions).

 Does IRIX actually run on anything below ISA II?

> To me, either 1.a) or 2) is fine with me, although I have a slight faovr over
> 2) (perhaps because I don't like assembly code and the extra "vertical"
> calling layer introduced in 1.a)

 What about 3) -- a new syscall with a different semantics and no need to
care about limitations of current implementations (especially the
sysmips() bag).  I've just sent a proposal for discussion.  I'm looking
forward for constructive feedback.