Re: Where to start with a R4000 Indigo

To: peter.zijlstra@chello.nl
Subject: Re: Where to start with a R4000 Indigo
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 13:11:17 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
peter.zijlstra@chello.nl wrote:

Hi,.

I recently acquired a R4000 50MHz Indigo without an IRIX install nor CD
with it. No CD-Rom player either, however I did order one, network however
does seem to work. And as I am a linux fanatic and professional programmer myself I would like to see whether I could help a bit with bringing linux to
this system.

As Indigo support isn't finished and I have nothing but a bare BIOS
to start with; and have no experience with the machine to begin with;
I have to ask for _help_ :)

Where do I start reading and tinkering to get linux; for as far as it's
sort of running; on my system ?

Are there any specs for the machine, especially for those parts that need
most urgent development and which parts are that ?

Are you sure this system is an Indigo and not an Indigo2? I thought the Indigo's are R3000 based and the Indigo2 is R4000 based. If it's an Indigo2, linux already runs on it. I've got our HardHat Linux 2.0 booting and running of the hard drive. There's also a port of RedHat7.1. on oss.sgi.com.

Pete