Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

To: "Steven J. Hill" <>
Subject: Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?
From: Ryan Murray <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:08:47 -0700
On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 07:14:38AM -0500, Steven J. Hill wrote:

> I will expound a bit more. When I made the changes to fix binutils and switch
> us from the IRIX to ABI ELF flavoured binaries the default target names
> changed from 'elf[32|64][little|big]mips' to 'elf[32|64]trad[little|big]mips'
> in binutils. This has the effect of breaking linker scripts but not a whole
> lot else. These will be the new targets for MIPS/Linux work. Binaries should
> still run just fine if you compile glibc-2.2.2 with the old or new tools.
> Future work though should use the 'elf[32|64]trad[little|big]mips' targets.

So, in summary:
        * all existing binaries do not need to be recompiled, and should
          continue to work.  (shlibs included?)
        * all new binaries should use the new formats.

To get the new targets working correctly:
        * new binutils
        * new gcc built with new binutils (does the 2.95.4 branch have the
changes, or only 3.0?)
        * new libc built with new gcc
        * rebuild gcc with the new libc

Am I missing anything?

> > > Is anybody working on a solution, or are we waiting for the debian people
> > > to rebuild all the packages?
> >
> You bet your ass they are in CVS. The Debian MIPS people? That would be Flo
> and Jason M. I believe. I'm getting ready to start a flame war (well I hope
> not, but it has potential) on the debian-mips list right after this email.
> You might want to hop up there and read that if you are interested.

> > I'll lean back, continue building .debs and wait for others to fix it.
> >
> And this is the problem Flo. Hop up to debian-mips and lets talk.

atm, I'm not building any packages, waiting for this to be resolved.

Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (,
The opinions expressed here are my own.