Re: Configuration of PCI Video card on a BIOS-less board

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <>, Pete Popov <>
Subject: Re: Configuration of PCI Video card on a BIOS-less board
From: Wayne Gowcher <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
Geert, Pete,

Thanks for your input, it makes me question things I
should have questioned before.

0xC000 0000 is the actual address I am trying to use.
I used it because another PCI card that I have a
driver for was using it and so I just carried on its
use. I didnt really question the value or its use. But
obviously it works for that card.

After your emails I revisited that code and now I
partially understand why it works. The chip has an
internal bus that translates address requests
internally. So when i write to 0xC000 0000 it would
never make to the actual address lines of the chip and
instead be routed to the PCI controller ( I think :) )

The original card i had a problem had an ATI Rage
chip. I am now experimenting with a VGA card with a
Cirrus Logic chip. I've got this card to accept the
programmed base address and am in teh process of
studying clgenfb.c to see if I can modify it to my
On first inspection clgenfb.c is written for the
Amiga??? and so I am trying to weed out the
dependencies. If anyone knows of a more generic driver
it would be much appreciated.

Do You Yahoo!?