Re: lift the ioport_resource limit ...

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: lift the ioport_resource limit ...
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:58:51 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Jun Sun <>, Ralf Baechle <>,
On Thu, 10 May 2001, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Jun Sun wrote:
> > The PCI IO space essentially extends the ISA bus, which effectively removes
> > the 0xffff limits.
>  Note that while there is usually no problem with using addresses beyond
> 64kB in the PCI I/O space, certain PCI-to-PCI bridges may not pass such
> accesses across.  So it's best to avoid assigning and using them.  That's
> why Linux remaps "high" I/O space resources on Alpha, which get set up for
> some systems by the SRM console (firmware), e.g. in the system I was using
> a few years ago, SRM used to assign addresses around 0x11000 and 0x12000
> for the onboard network and SCSI devices, IIRC.

Shouldn't that be reflected in the bridge's bus resources (pci_bus.resource[])?
Then the PCI resource validation/assignment code will (re)assign them when

Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE) ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium