Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?
From: "Steven J. Hill" <>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 14:17:34 -0500
Cc: Andreas Jaeger <>, "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>, Florian Lohoff <>, Tom Appermont <>,
Ralf Baechle wrote:
> It's only modutils which for correct functionality depends on the trad-
> format, so I don't see any real reason for raising version requirements
> for libc.
I can see your point...but...if we are trying fix the MIPS/Linux target
from this point forward we should at least make people aware of what
is going on. I propose spitting out a warning message when 'configure'
is ran that if an older version of binutils/ld is found, then we warn
the user that they may be unable to correctly use Linux kernel features
or something like that. Comments?

 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer
 Public Key: ''
 FPR1: E124 6E1C AF8E 7802 A815