Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

To: Florian Lohoff <>
Subject: Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?
From: "Steven J. Hill" <>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:14:38 -0500
Cc: Tom Appermont <>, Ralf Baechle <>,
Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > > The whole point was to switch from our IRIX ELF flavoured binaries to
> > > standard ABI ELF.  These two variants are close but not identical which
> > > for example made modutils missbehave.

I will expound a bit more. When I made the changes to fix binutils and switch
us from the IRIX to ABI ELF flavoured binaries the default target names
changed from 'elf[32|64][little|big]mips' to 'elf[32|64]trad[little|big]mips'
in binutils. This has the effect of breaking linker scripts but not a whole
lot else. These will be the new targets for MIPS/Linux work. Binaries should
still run just fine if you compile glibc-2.2.2 with the old or new tools.
Future work though should use the 'elf[32|64]trad[little|big]mips' targets.

> > What is the current status on this? The patches for the tools are already
> > integrated in their cvs trees (right?). But I don't think everybody was
> > happy with this in the end, aspecially the people wearing debian hats.
> > Is anybody working on a solution, or are we waiting for the debian people
> > to rebuild all the packages?
You bet your ass they are in CVS. The Debian MIPS people? That would be Flo
and Jason M. I believe. I'm getting ready to start a flame war (well I hope
not, but it has potential) on the debian-mips list right after this email.
You might want to hop up there and read that if you are interested.

> I'll lean back, continue building .debs and wait for others to fix it.
And this is the problem Flo. Hop up to debian-mips and lets talk.

 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer
 Public Key: ''
 FPR1: E124 6E1C AF8E 7802 A815
 FPR2: 7D72 829C 3386 4C4A E17D