Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?
From: Tom Appermont <tea@sonycom.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:59:55 +0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 09:43:13PM -0300, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > > We don't.
> >
> > Could you explain a bit more - I'd like to understand the whole issue.
>
> The whole point was to switch from our IRIX ELF flavoured binaries to
> standard ABI ELF.  These two variants are close but not identical which
> for example made modutils missbehave.

What is the current status on this? The patches for the tools are already
integrated in their cvs trees (right?). But I don't think everybody was
happy with this in the end, aspecially the people wearing debian hats.
Is anybody working on a solution, or are we waiting for the debian people
to rebuild all the packages?

Tom