Re: Linux on a Tektronix XP217C xterm

To: "Geert Uytterhoeven" <>, "Kaj-Michael Lang" <>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Tektronix XP217C xterm
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:50:37 +0200
Cc: <>
> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:
> > Any chance of getting linux running on a tektronix x-terminal ? It has
> > a LR33020 cpu, that I think is a R3000 integrated with some graphics
> > chip. I've tried searching for documentation for the chip but I didn't
> > find anything.
> IIRC there's a different separate graphics chip in the 217. I think the
> is not a MIPS, but a RISC chip from LSI Logic.

The 33xx0 family are MIPS-compatible designs that were done
in-house at LSI logic.  At the level of the user-mode instruction
set, they are compatible with MIPS-I/R3000 - indeed, the basic
pipeline looks like it was taken directly from the R3000.  But the
system coprocessor was radically modified and simplified and in
particular there is no TLB/MMU.  Standard Linux therefore won't fly
on it, though some variant of uClinux might.

            Kevin K.