Re: Login problem on a serial console

To: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Subject: Re: Login problem on a serial console
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 21:31:40 -0300
Cc: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:19:52PM +0200, Carsten Langgaard wrote:

> > I think this has something to do with the fixes Bachus commited
> > lately. I think he changed something which made some getty's
> > not work anymore. Can you try an other getty ?
>
> I tried another getty and that seem to work, thanks.
> Do you know what break things, so I could redo Bachus fixes ?

Bacchus is angry about your misspelling of his name and punishes you
by el cheapo vine not under 5l ;-)

It's a change in the architecture independant code of the kernel which
result in the kernel initializing the serial tty with the CREAD flag
cleared.  mingetty doesn't do a fully initialization of the terminal
but getty (from getty_ps) or mgetty do, so they work.

I'd consider that two bugs, one in the kernel and one in mingetty.  It
means a user can messup terminal settings so completly that logging off
wouldn't fix things but only root intervention or reboot.