Re: NFS -13 error

To: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>, <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: NFS -13 error
From: "John D. Davis" <johnd@Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I have downloaded the linux stuff and a kernel image(2.4.0-ip22) from the
site listed below.  I am getting a kernel panic.  I am nolonger getting
nfs errors. I added a link from /tftpboot/to the debian linux directory on
the server.  I guess dhcp_bootp doesn't have the right flag set or
something.  However, the message is:

>Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream.

Is there a flag that I need to set for the root? I have /etc/exports with
the -root=sgilinuxIPaddress,rw for the parent directory of the linux
distribution?  I have tried other vmlinux kernels and gotten the same type
of problem.  THe one from sgi says it can't mount fs and ask for root=.  I
have tried to set that at the bootp():vmlinux root=/linux but that did not
help either. Furthermore, I am not getting an mountd error on the SGI
server.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to install linux from an SGI Indy running IRIX over the
network.

thanks,
john davis