Has anyone successfully reduced the size of

To: <>, <>
Subject: Has anyone successfully reduced the size of
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:19:21 -0500
Cc: <>

I am trying to create a stripped version of  from glibc.2.1.95 src, by
including only minimal symbols.
        original full size                             7.9 Meg
        original but symbols stripped           1.7 Meg
        (running mipsel-linux-strip

Has anyone successfully  reduced the size of the

Here is what I did.  I started with glibc 2.1.95 and cross compiled for MIPS.

        A.  Using Bradley D. LaRonde's ramdisk as a model
        B.  Ran strings on /lib/ and /lib/ on LaRonde's
                Removed  all the messages, leaving mostly  symbols.
        C.  Ran a script, that took the symbols and found the corresponding
                *.os file.  And resolved rescursively all undefined symbols.
        D.  Extracted the commands used to create &, from
                the log while cross compiling glibc.  Theses included:
                        dl-allobjs.os           libc_pic.a
        E.  Replaced */stamp.os with the files found from step C.
        F.  Extracted the symbols required for the ls command., and added to
the *.os list.
                This brought the size of the back to the original size
1.7Meg (stripped)).

Anthony Wei
Philips Digital Network
1000 West Maude Avenue     W3-948