Re: Endianness...

To: "Matthew Dharm" <mdharm@momenco.com>, "Linux-MIPS" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Endianness...
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:21:58 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I have one machine set up each way, an Algorithmics
P5064/R5260 running LE on a 2.2.12 kernel and a
MIPS Malta/4KC running BE under 2.4.1.  There are pros
and cons.  On one hand, most of the "bleeding edge"
work is only tested on BE SGI platforms before being
checked-in, and the BE userland binary distributions
are more complete.  On the other hand, it's generally
easier to port drivers for x86-oriented peripherals to
a LE kernel.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.