serial console, have linefeed but no command prompt

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: serial console, have linefeed but no command prompt
From: Wayne Gowcher <wgowcher@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I am trying to bring up a mips based board using the
serial console outputing to a serial terminal.
Everything seems to boot OK, I see the various printk
messages of the kernel booting right up until the
execve calls in init/main.c init().
After this point the board stops printing to the
serial console, but if I hit return at the terminals
keyboard, the terminal's cursor moves down one line.
But I still have no command prompt.

Up until now I have been successfully booting the
board with the 2.2.13 kernel using nfs as the file
system. The problem kernel is my attempt at porting
2.4.0 test 9 to the same board, using the same nfs.

I suspect I have a setup problem with the serial
configuration in the kernel ( not the filesystem since
2.2.13 is OK ), maybe it's not selecting the right
terminal or not directing output correctly ? But I am
not sure how to fix it and would appreciate any help,
references to texts that would help me.

Wayne