Re: gdb single step ?

To: Fabrice Bellard <bellard@email.enst.fr>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: gdb single step ?
From: Ian Soanes <ians@lineo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:45:58 +0100
Cc: rivers@lexmark.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ian Soanes wrote:

> Ralf Baechle wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:31:20PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> >
> > > Did someone make a patch so that gdb can do single step on mips-linux ? If
> > > not, do you prefer a patch to gdb or a patch in the kernel to support the
> > > PTRACE_SINGLESTEP command ?
> >
> > Last I used GDB single stepping has been working fine for me, so I wonder
> > what is broken?

<snip>

> 2/ Previously I've had some luck single stepping kernel and module code
> with the kernel gdbstub (arch/mips/kernel/gdb-stub.c), so I ported the
> relevant single stepping code into gdbserver. The results were much
> better. The only thing that seems to be wrong now is stepping over
> function calls isn't working quite right. I can step into functions OK
> though.

<snip>

Hi,

Sorry, I made a mistake (forgetting to clear a breakpoint) when I ported
the stub single step code into gdbserver. As far as I can tell, single
stepping works fine now.

BTW, should I be worried about MIPS16 instructions? (single step
breakpoints are always placed on a 4 byte increment) ...or is that a
silly question?

Best regards,
Ian