Re: IRQ questions

To: Scott A McConnell <samcconn@cotw.com>
Subject: Re: IRQ questions
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:48:35 -0300
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 04:21:38PM -0700, Scott A McConnell wrote:

> > > I have a 2.4.3 kernel booting. I copied the old  arch/mips/kernel/irq.c
> > > to my target directory and changed
> >
> > One valid solution ...  Still.  We want to eleminate all this code
> > duplication for no good reason.
>
> Would Rotten_IRQ have done the same thing?

Absolutely not.  The rotten IRQ thing gives you the old irq.c which assumes
more or less x86 centric interrupt handling, that is a 2 PICs and doesn't
get SMP right and leaves us a ton of structural problems.  Don't use, it's
destilled evil ;-)

> Could you name an arch in the cvs distribution that uses the new style IRQ's

Interrupt handling is an per architecture thing; currently i386 is coming
closest to the new design of our future interrupts.