Re: Passing kernel args

To: Dave Gilbert <>
Subject: Re: Passing kernel args
From: Guido Guenther <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:14:40 +0200
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:45:08PM +0100, Dave Gilbert wrote:
>   1) Disk partitioning.  I had a disk that had Irix on, however my first
> problem was that the volume header wasn't big enough for a Linux kernel.
> You state that you can use x and then g in fdisk to create a new partition
> table, however that only works if the disc is clean and doesn't already
> have an Irix partition on it.  In my case since it already did have, x
> just gave 'sorry there is no expert mode for SG partitions' (or something
> similar).   Having wiped the disc clean with:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
Thanks. I'll add this to the howto.
>   2) OSLoadPartition - it seems to look at this a little late; i.e. if you
> have an NFS Root kernel it ignores OSLoadPartition and still NFS roots -
> so I needed to pass a root= option.
This only happens when fetching a kernel via bootp. I suspect that the
prom variables do not get passed to the kernel in that case, only the
arguments after the "bootp(): "call . Not sure if we can do anything about

>   2) OSLoadOptions - the kernel I have (a 2.4.0) gets a string which is:
>       OSLoadOptions=whatEverYouSet
>     So if you:
>        setenv OSLoadOptions "root=/dev/sda1 ro"
>     The kernel actually sees:
>        OSLoadOptions=root=/dev/sda1 ro
>     So I had to do:
>        setenv OSLoadOptions " root=/dev/sda1 ro"
>     Which works like a dream. (Note the trailing space after the first " )
Hmm...I'm not seeing this here on 2 Indy's and an I2. As Flo already
pointed out this might be a firmware bug.

> It is also useful to point out that it is the partition(8) in the options
> that corresponds to the /dev/sda9 in the fdisk output.
Will add that one too.
 -- Guido