Dynamic linker and .interp section

To: Linux/MIPS <>, FR Linux/MIPS <>
Subject: Dynamic linker and .interp section
From: Michael Shmulevich <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:39:15 +0300

My question may be a bit off-topic for this list, but still I consider the list as a place that may answer me.

I am trying to create a cross-compile environement for linux system that will use some specific dynamic linker. To do so I specify -Wl,--dynamic-linker flag to gcc. However doing this I face several problems:

- the place for the linker during the compilation must match the place at the target system (if I pass -Wl,--dynamic-linker /xxx/yyy/ then for the executable kernel looks for /xxx/yyy/ in order to execute it. Instead I would like to use simply /lib/

- If I pass -Wl,--dynamic-linker /lib/, then the /lib/ must exist during the compilation and match the chosen system's architecture. I don't want to create this file (/lib/ on my compilation machine, as there are many architectures that get compiled there and I cannot use the same for all of them.

- I saw that in gcc's spec file there is a mention of dynamic linker, for example, this one is for PPC %:{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /lib/} This one is interesting because there is no /lib/ on my machine, and it resides under /usr/local/powerpc-linux/lib. Still compiler seems to ignore the fact that it is missing from /lib and creates the corresponding .interp section and PT_INTERP header.

So my question sounds like: can I specify a non-existing linker and tell ld to ignore missing file?

Thanks in advance for any response, no matter how insulting it may be :-)

Sincerely yours,
Michael Shmulevich
Software Developer
Jungo - R&D
Phone: 1-877-514-0537(USA)  +972-9-8859365(Worldwide) ext. 233
Fax:   1-877-514-0538(USA)  +972-9-8859366(Worldwide)