Re: mips_memory_upper

To: Scott A McConnell <samcconn@cotw.com>
Subject: Re: mips_memory_upper
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:15:02 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Scott A McConnell wrote:

> Used to be defined in ./arch/mips/kernel/setup.c

 It's no longer needed -- MIPS now uses the bootmem allocator cosistently
across system variations.  Memory holes are now permitted.  User may
override the determined memory map using a kernel command line (for
debugging, to isolate a faulty module, etc.).  The add_memory_region()
function is used to register an area of memory.

> It is no longer defined. I also noticed that badget is now using
> vac_memory_upper.

 This is a system-specific value to write into chipset registers.  It's
not overriden by a kernel command line in any case to initialize the
chipset properly.  I can't say anything more specific about it -- I'm not
a Baget expert.