Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Joe deBlaquiere <jadb@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:16:53 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:

> You might call it a hack, but it makes life easy if you do something like:
>
> export ac_cv_sizeof_short=2
> export ac_cv_sizeof_int=4
> export ac_cv_sizeof_long=4
>
> sh ./configure --target=$CONFIG_TARGET --host=$CONFIG_HOST
> --prefix=$CONFIG_PREFIX --exec-prefix=$CONFIG_EXECPR
>
> This will short circuit a "broken" configure trying to execute programs
> for this kind of thing. If configure doesn't care about sizeof_int, then
> this definition is silently ignored...

 If you look at my RPM packages, you'll see I'm already doing this.  I've
already thought of making global cross-compilation configuration files for
each host containing appropriate definitions.  I'm not sure how to
integrate it with RPM, yet (the macro definition file is a good
candidate).  I didn't make any progress due to a low priority of this
task.