Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Carsten Langgaard <>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:37:15 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Florian Lohoff <>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <>
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Carsten Langgaard wrote:

> Now I would like to start cross compile SRPMs (let say redhat7.0).
> What do I need to do to make the SRPMS cross compile ?

 Spec files need to be written appropriately for cross-compilation to be
supported as you need to override the compiler used (and possibly other
tools) and configure scripts need to be passed a host system name.  Also
depending on the cluefulness of a given maintainer/team, packages might be
easy or difficult to cross-compile -- heavy patching is required in some

 For the way I am using RPM to cross-compile you might visit my FTP site
at '' (mirrored at
'' -- thanks,
Flo).  There are source and binary packages as well as configuration files
I use.  Read the READMEs and look at a few spec files and everything
should be clear.  Many of the *.mipsel.rpm packages available there were
cross-built -- you may verify it with `rpm -qip': "macro" is my i386-linux
system, while "3maxp" is my mipsel-linux one (still no i386-linux
cross-compiler on my mipsel-linux system, sigh... :-( ).

 You need to build cross-binutils, cross-gcc and cross-glibc to start.
I've already written and sent a detailed description on cross-gcc
bootstrapping here.  I'm not sure if the list is archived, or not.  If
not, I may dig through my mail archives and send it again.

 If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask me.