Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Carsten Langgaard <>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:23:26 +0200
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Florian Lohoff <>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <>
I would like to join the fun of cross-compiling RPMs.
What I have done so far with userland is simply to collect precompiled
binaries, and only compiled less than a handful of RPMs natively.
So where do I start ?
I have started out getting the tarball
and compiled everything on a linux hosted PC, it worked fine, though I had
to upgrade from redhat6.1 to redhat7.0. Nice work whoever put this together.

Now I would like to start cross compile SRPMs (let say redhat7.0).
What do I need to do to make the SRPMS cross compile ?
Could someone please get me booted or is there an howto somewhere ?
I realize it probably gonna be hard work, but I like to join the fun, at
least so I have an idea what exactly the problems are, and hopefully with
time I can contribute in the bug fixing.

"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > stdint.h isn't available everywhere.  Aside of that I won't object ...
>  That's why I wrote of legacy hosts.  The AC_CHECK_HEADERS and
> AC_CHECK_TYPE macros are cross-compilation-safe and they are all that
> modern hosts need.  For other hosts AC_CHECK_SIZEOF might be used to find
> generic types suitable for ISO C definitions, which might be problematic
> for cross-compilation, though.  Still this applies to non-gcc
> cross-compilers only, which are not that common, AFAIK.
> --
> +  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
> +        e-mail:, PGP key available        +

_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556