Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:15:41 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> What about modifying dpkg so it can install the lib and include parts of
> non-native packages for arch $ARCH in /usr/$ARCH-linux/? Thay way you can
> easily install *-dev packages for cross-development.

 I'm not sure if that actually solves the problem.  I think
cross-compilation libraries need to be built specifically for this purpose
as bits might be different, such as in the case of
/usr/mipsel-linux/lib/libc.so, which has to be different from the
mipsel-linux native /usr/lib/libc.so.  Cross-compilation libraries might
be built as noarch packages as they are actually independent from the
build system they are installed on.