Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:15:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:34:55AM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:
> > > A major problem get the thing in which the configure try to
> > > begin to build executables and guess on the behaviour of the
> > > OS to run on. This ends to be a hack and reminds me on
> > > "pre gnu configure" times where one had to deal
> > > with hundrets of "config.h" or "os.h" files.
> >
> > While it is a pain for some packages, it is actually not too bad for
> > most of them.  I think we (mvista) are rolling out cross-compiled 250+
> > packages for 5 major CPU architectures and 21 sub-architectures - where
> > most of them are based on debian sources. :-)
>
> We already had the discussion on parts of that implementation. Honestly -
> I dont like the stuff - Rolling out mips packages as "noarch" is
> simply broken - And the argument that one would want to install
> it on a i386 nfs root is simply an excuse for a broken rpm or missing
> installer.

What about modifying dpkg so it can install the lib and include parts of
non-native packages for arch $ARCH in /usr/$ARCH-linux/? Thay way you can
easily install *-dev packages for cross-development.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE)