Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Jun Sun <>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Florian Lohoff <>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:02:11 +0200
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <>
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:34:55AM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:
> > A major problem get the thing in which the configure try to
> > begin to build executables and guess on the behaviour of the
> > OS to run on. This ends to be a hack and reminds me on
> > "pre gnu configure" times where one had to deal
> > with hundrets of "config.h" or "os.h" files.
> While it is a pain for some packages, it is actually not too bad for
> most of them.  I think we (mvista) are rolling out cross-compiled 250+
> packages for 5 major CPU architectures and 21 sub-architectures - where
> most of them are based on debian sources. :-)

We already had the discussion on parts of that implementation. Honestly -
I dont like the stuff - Rolling out mips packages as "noarch" is
simply broken - And the argument that one would want to install
it on a i386 nfs root is simply an excuse for a broken rpm or missing

Florian Lohoff                     +49-5201-669912