Re: indy R5000 with irix 6.5

To: jsc6233@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Subject: Re: indy R5000 with irix 6.5
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:22:18 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 12:03:30AM -0700, jsc6233@ritvax.isc.rit.edu wrote:

> I don't mean to be a complete moron but what are the EXACT steps i need to
> get a compiled kernel. I had downloaded the version 2.4 and attempted to
> make the kernel and i got syntax errors. Am I missing something??? I have

You're missing the FAQ from the sound of things.

> gcc version 2.7 and cc version 7.3.

gcc 2.7, while it served Sir Isaac Newton well, isn't going to build
linux 2.4.  In fact, in order to make that compile that far you must
have removed the "my compiler is too old" #error from init/main.c.
Did you think they put it there for fun?

You can use that fancy new cc to build yourself a copy of gcc 3.0.
While that's going on you'll have time to cruise over to
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/MIPS-HOWTO.html and read the
documentation.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows