Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:10:05 +0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:26:11AM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Cross-compilation is IMHO so broken when it comes to userspace
> > than noone really thinking of having something reusable would
> > consider this. It all ends beeing a really ugly hack.
>
>  I disagree.  It's not that userland cross-compilation is broken.  It's
> just the matter of certain programmers who do not care to write
> scripts/Makefiles to support cross-development portably.  They might even
> not realize there exists such a feature as cross-compilation.

Brokeness starts with autoconf's AC_CHECK_SIZEOF macro implementation
which is used frequently throughout a whole distribution and there are
so many test that require actually execution of code on the target that
fix a whole distribution for crosscompilation and keeping it uptodate
is seriously double-plus un-fun.