Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: Florian Lohoff <>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:34:55 -0700
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>, "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <>
Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:22:48AM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  That no one would
> > consider using your Debian cross environment?  That no one
> I am not building cross, i am not building the debian cross
> toolchain. Just for completeness.
> > would consider doing cross-development?   What part of it
> > seems to you to be a show-stopper?
> A major problem get the thing in which the configure try to
> begin to build executables and guess on the behaviour of the
> OS to run on. This ends to be a hack and reminds me on
> "pre gnu configure" times where one had to deal
> with hundrets of "config.h" or "os.h" files.

While it is a pain for some packages, it is actually not too bad for most of
them.  I think we (mvista) are rolling out cross-compiled 250+ packages for 5
major CPU architectures and 21 sub-architectures - where most of them are
based on debian sources. :-)

> If you are going to use anything like a package format
> might it be "rpm" or "deb" the dependencies tend to be
> utterly broken as the dependcies are guessed by stuff like
> "ldd" output and friends.

There are some tools which make it work right.  mvista has one.  I think
Merceij has one too.