Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:14:25 +0200
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List \(SGI\)" <>
On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:24:00PM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> I've historically done all of my MIPS/Linux development
> native, on Indies, P-5064's, Atlas, and Malta.  But now
> that we seem to be in a situation where the latest,
> greatest, and most correct compilers are x86 cross-dev
> only.

There is nothing that keeps you from building those compiler as native
compilers also.  Usually I only crosscompile kernels and do all other
work native.

> I've cut over to building kernels on my Athlon box.
> I'd like to start building apps and benchmarks (not
> necessarily from srpm's).  Plainly, I need a set of
> libraries (naive attempts at cross-compilation of
> user code with the egcs 1.1.2 compiler results in
> complaints about the missing crt1.o), and possibly
> some variant include files.

Which looks like you don't have a glibc package installed.

> Are these packaged somewhere, and is there an FAQ/HowTo on how
> to set them up?

Guess I should occasionally roll an uptodate crosscompiler package ...

> This may have been handled in Ralf's HowTo, but that seems to have
> disappeared from the web.  Where are you looking?  It's still
on the web and is also being distributed as part of the LDP project.  Heck,
the HOWTO even seems to ship with a number of Intel distributions, at least
Conectiva 6.0 and Redhat 6.2 seem to include it, even though fairly old