Re: Recommended toolchain

To: vhouten@kpn.com
Subject: Re: Recommended toolchain
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:10:15 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Karel van Houten wrote:

> Oh, and the resulting (ELF) kernel doesn't boot at all:
> >>boot 3/rz0 1/new
> delo V0.7 Copyright 2000 Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
>
> KN05 V2.1k    (PC: 0xa002cab8, SP: 0x8043fef0)

 Well, this might be related to R4k you are using.  I have been able to
run kernels up to 2.4.0-test12 fine on my /240.  I tried the final 2.4.0
(or was it 2.4.1? -- I don't rememeber) on my machine and it booted but it
was very unstable -- I got a shell prompt but any moderate fs activity
killed it immediately.

 As it was the time I was building binutils 2.10.91 package I checked if
the version of binutils matters.  It didn't.  The 2.4.0-test12 version was
stable and the other one was not regardless of the binutils version used.

 So I guess there may be something wrong with the R4k code generation in
gcc 2.95.2(3) (or possibly binutils, but the latter is quite unlikely).  I
can't run-time test R4k code but I may see if I can review the generated
binary of startup code up to the first line output for any
inconsistencies.  Don't hold your breath, though...