Re: rpm crashing on RH 7.0 indy

To: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org>
Subject: Re: rpm crashing on RH 7.0 indy
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:24:12 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: David Jez <dave.jez@seznam.cz>, Karel van Houten <K.H.C.vanHouten@kpn.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:

> That's not the problem.  The problem is that static binaries which use
> libdl used to be (and perhaps still are) broken.  The reason it's
> using libdl is that the nss libraries are never truly static, unless
> you compile glibc with a special non-recommended option.  I have
> indications that this may be fixed in glibc 2.2.2 using my current
> toolchain, but my information is not complete.

 Glibc is fine; it's the kernel that needs a fix (I've sent it here
already once or twice).  We might possibly consider putting a workaround
into glibc as well.

 The problem is mmap() fails if a non-zero preferred address is given but
the space is already occupied and no space *above* is available (space
below is not taken into account).  A glibc workaround might be to call
mmap() again with no preferred address specified this time.