RE: Multiple processor support?

To: "Matthew Dharm" <mdharm@momenco.com>
Subject: RE: Multiple processor support?
From: Justin Carlson <carlson@sibyte.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:08:13 -0800
Cc: <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> Well, I'd like to know about both, frankly.  Tho I'm more interested
> in whichever is designed to run on RM7000 series processors.

To the best of my knowledge, the mips64 tree only works in SMP on the ip-27
which is r10K based.  There would be a bit of work to get an RM7K  based
multiprocessor system to run. A fair amount of the "generic" code in
that tree is also pretty ip-27 specific, and so would need to be cleaned up.

I'm working on mips32 SMP support at the moment; there are no existing ports of
this tree to an SMP platform.  The mips64 stuff is certainly much, much more
mature.  I don't know of any reasons not to use the mips64 side for an RM7K.

-Justin