Re: Compile error with current CVS kernel

To: Karel van Houten <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Subject: Re: Compile error with current CVS kernel
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:15:19 -0800
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, Daniel Jacobowitz <djacobowitz@mvista.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Karel van Houten wrote:

> While I wrote my previous mail:
>
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:1993: Error: expression too complex
> {standard input}:1993: Fatal error: internal Error, line 1823,
> ./config/tc-mips.c
> make[3]: *** [vgacon.o] Error 1
>
> Again.... :-(

We encountered this exact problem a few days ago. One of our engineers
tracked it down to the combination of complex macros and inline
functions in arch/mips/io.h.  He pinpointed precisely the problem to a
rare gcc "bug", which is not likely to get fixed anytime soon. I believe
a patch was already submitted to Ralf, but it will have to get tested.

Pete