Re: Problem makeing an O2 run bootp

To: nick@snowman.net, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Problem makeing an O2 run bootp
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:25:58 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 02:57:51AM -0500, Chris Ruvolo wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:36:45PM -0500, nick@snowman.net wrote:
> > I've got an o2 that I'm trying to make netboot, and it seems to work,
> > however the o2 never acks the tftp packets.  The tcpdump is attached.  If
> > anyone has suggestions/ideas I'd love to hear them.  I booted the o2 and
> > ran "bootp():" from the arc prompt.
>
> I had the same problem with my Indy.  I think this is in the HOWTO now, but
> in case you missed it..  If you are running your tftpd on Linux >= 2.3.x
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
>
> Worked for me.

Yep, it's in there:

  7.6.  My machine doesn't download the kernel when I try to netboot

  Your machine is replying to the BOOTP packets (you may verify this
  using a packet sniffer like tcpdump or ethereal), but doesn't download
  the kernel from your BOOTP server. This happens if your boot server is
  running a kernel of the 2.3 series or higher. The problem may be
  circumvented by doing a "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc"
  as root on your boot server.