Re: Small remote debug kernels??

To: ldavies@oz.agile.tv
Subject: Re: Small remote debug kernels??
From: Curtis Veit <curtisv@lineo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:53:37 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi Liam,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 02:26:42PM +1000, Liam Davies wrote:
> I would like to remote debug my kernel.
> On the Cobalt box I have there is (allegedly) a bootloader bug that
> stops the
> kernel being any larger than 1M/2.5M, compressed/uncompressed.
> I have stripped the kernel bare but can't get much lower than 6M
> uncompressed.
>
> Is there any way I can have a mini-remote debugging kernel??

It sounds like the kernel on the target system still has the
debug symbols in it. The symbols are actually only needed
in the kernel on the host end.  (present on the same machine
as gdb.)

You can strip the kernel you put on your target with
        strip --strip-unneeded vmlinux
This should allow you to use more then a bare kernel.

It seems that you have fallen prey to a common misconception
about remote debugging.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Curtis Veit
curtisv@lineo.com