Re: sync plea

To: Jim Freeman <jfree@sovereign.org>
Subject: Re: sync plea
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:04:18 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 06:07:11AM -0700, Jim Freeman wrote:

> I have a farm of MIPS, PPC, and IA32 machines that I need to
> keep running from a common current source tree.
>
> The recent mips update into 2.4.2pre2 (thankyouthankyouthankyou...)
> has helped in this task, but the diff between any 2.4.2pre[n>=2] or
> 2.4.1-ac[n>=9] tree vs the MIPS cvs tree is still huge, and painful
> to cull through to wind up with a sane mips patch (should be fairly
> small since the update into 2.4.2pre2) against a 2.4.*{pre*|-ac*} tree.
>
> A sync of mips cvs to any 2.4.1{pre*|-ac*} kernel post 2.4.2pre2
> would be of great use, but I don't know how much pain that entails
> for the maintainers.
>
> In lieu of that, can anyone clue me in to newbie tricks (CVS or
> otherwise) for syncing 2 trees less painfully than culling diffs?

Imagine, that's what we do on a daily base.  The most easy receipe to make
diffs less painfull is half a gig of RAM which brings time for diffing
two kernel trees down to ~ 2s on an Origin or decent PC.

Unfortunately Linus dropped piles of additional patches I sent to him.
That's the standard way this works, so just wait ...