Re: your mail

To: Deepa Suresh <deepa.suresh@WIPRO.COM>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:03:43 +0100 (MET)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Deepa  Suresh wrote:
> We have a QED based MIPs processor, running Linux 2.4-test6.
> We use our own graphics card.
> We want to get X/display up on this board. WE have a frame buffer driver
> written
> for the same card running on x86 Linux version and running X using
> XFBDev server.

Does the frame buffer driver you wrote for x86 Linux relies on the card being
initialised by the video BIOS on the card? If not, it'll work out-of-the-box.
If yes, you'll have to make sure a similar initialization is done on the MIPS
platform.

> I want to know if we can reuse the same driver for mips also?
> In the case of i386 Linux, fbcon.c and fbmem.c do most of the
> processing before giving control to the corresponding graphics card.
>
> In mips port can we use the same fbcon.c and fbmem.c functionality
> with our graphics driver. Is this enough for X to come up
> without any problems. (i have seen sgi using newport_con , can we use
> fb_con itself instead , what are the problems?)

Fbmem and fbcon should work fine. They are not architecture specific.

And if these work, XF{68,86}_FBDev should work as well.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE)