Re: R10000 SGI O2

To: Stockli Reto <>
Subject: Re: R10000 SGI O2
From: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:07:16 -0800
On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:25:25PM +0100, Stockli Reto wrote:

> I will give a try later to have my SGI O2 R10000 175MHz running Linux
> and will report found problems and possible solutions.

Well, the most serious problem is known: that architecture isn't

> For not repeating here what has already been done:
> Has anyone ever tried the same before and what are the problems to
> encounter? I will most likely boot from a bootp linux server. Is there a
> chance that I get a console on my O2 or do I only have a serial
> connection.

There is no chance whatever that you will get anything.  If you want
to have any chance at all of getting this to work I would recommend
you ask Harald for his latest patch; it provides some level of support
for r5k-based IP32 (O2) systems.  r10k O2 suffers from the same
cache-noncoherency problem as r10k I2 does, and to the best of my
knowledge nobody has ever really tried to even boot one.

Not to discourage you at all...there's just a lot of work to do.

Keith M Wesolowski