Re: irq.c

To: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: irq.c
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:18:25 -0800
Cc: carlson@sibyte.com, "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:07:58AM -0800, Pete Popov wrote:

> Thanks for pointing that out.  If all architectures will move to
> kernel/irq.c, then it probably makes sense to wait.  At first glance,
> mips/kernel/irq.c seems pretty close to i386/kernel/irq.c -- certainly a
> lot closer than many of the other copies.

It was derived from a fairly recent copy of the x86 irq.c; running out of
time I never completed the rewrite.  The idea is to implement some kind
of modular interrupt mechanism which allows us to have a single piece of
code in the MIPS kernel that knows how to handle i8259 interrupt, a single
piece of code to handle GT64120 interrupts etc.  Not like the current mess
which duplicates code ad infinitum.

Aside it's also going to make the RTLinux fraction happy.