Re: Linux/Indy HOWTO

To: Brandon Barker <>
Subject: Re: Linux/Indy HOWTO
From: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:15:15 -0800
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:54:05PM -0500, Brandon Barker wrote:

> Will there be a SGI/Linux Install HOWTO especially pertaining to the
> Indy.  I have an Indy, but I do not own IRIX, and I can't find any
> instructions in the current howto because it is not meant to be an
> install HOWTO.

There are several documents pertaining to installing various Linux
distributions on an Indy.  You should probably start with, which applies to Indy as well.
If you want to use Simple, start at the newly reanimated  For Hard Hat, there
is an Indy-specific document at
In short, a quick google search and/or the FAQ are more than adequate
to get you started.

> I have also heard rumors that SGI eventually plans to drop MIPS/IRIX
> all togethor and that they never plan on offering Linux as a viable
> OS to it's MIPS systems.

*sigh* This really should go in the FAQ.  Expect to see IRIX die at
about the same time the flying monkeys on the moon overthrow Earth by
hurling a giant wad of dung at us with their catapult.

Keith M Wesolowski