Re: Linux/Indy HOWTO

To: Brandon Barker <bebarker@meginc.com>
Subject: Re: Linux/Indy HOWTO
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:15:15 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:54:05PM -0500, Brandon Barker wrote:

> Will there be a SGI/Linux Install HOWTO especially pertaining to the
> Indy.  I have an Indy, but I do not own IRIX, and I can't find any
> instructions in the current howto because it is not meant to be an
> install HOWTO.

There are several documents pertaining to installing various Linux
distributions on an Indy.  You should probably start with
http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html, which applies to Indy as well.
If you want to use Simple, start at the newly reanimated
http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/Install-HOWTO.html.  For Hard Hat, there
is an Indy-specific document at http://www.linux.sgi.com/manhattan/.
In short, a quick google search and/or the FAQ are more than adequate
to get you started.

> I have also heard rumors that SGI eventually plans to drop MIPS/IRIX
> all togethor and that they never plan on offering Linux as a viable
> OS to it's MIPS systems.

*sigh* This really should go in the FAQ.  Expect to see IRIX die at
about the same time the flying monkeys on the moon overthrow Earth by
hurling a giant wad of dung at us with their catapult.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu