DECstation crashes

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: DECstation crashes
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:04:19 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hallo everyone,

I have been experimenting a bit to find out which changes cause the
kernel crashes on DECstations we experience in the last days. A checkout
from 2001-01-30 00:00 works fine, a checkout from 2001-02-02 00:00
crashes. Between these two dates is the large patch merging in the
changes from 2.4.0 -> 2.4.1, so it looks like the bug is somewhere in
there. Any ideas?

Do other Linux/MIPS-targets besides the DECstations show similar problems
(kernel crash due to NULL-pointer dereference in __free_pages_ok just
after mounting the rootfs) or is this a decstation-specific effect? The
problems happens both on R3k and R4k (tested on 5000/20 and 5000/150).

Greetings,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>