Re: NON FPU cpus - way to go

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: NON FPU cpus - way to go
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:42:45 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Florian Lohoff <>,,
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> Its an interesting question whether it belongs in the kernel or libc.
> Discuss ;)

 Hmm, emulating a missing part of CPU seems more natural in the kernel
mode.  It's completely transparent -- no difference to userland software
whether there is a real part or an emulator.

 The libc approach has the advantage of being unprivileged -- a fault in
an emulator cannot itself bring a system down.  It's non-transparent,
though -- it may give interesting effects when debugging.

> Also we missed a trick on the x86 and I want to fix that one day, which is
> to have an __fpu ELF segment so if you boot an FPU emu kernel on an fpu
> box you regain 47K

 A good idea, even though hardly anyone needs the emulator for i386 these
days. ;-)