Re: NON FPU cpus - way to go

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: NON FPU cpus - way to go
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:01:20 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, ralf@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
> i would like to know the way to go for NON-FPU cpus - Currently its
> partly an Compile Time thing and partly run time config.

Flo,

My vote is to use config option.

Moving forward I see MIPS mainly used in embedded systems.  I think need of
using the same kernel binary for multiple CPUs is rare, especially for the
"same" CPU with or without FPU.  Therefore having run-time detection is a
waste of effort.  Half-config-half-runtime solution is pretty messy too.

For CPUs with the same PrID that may or may not have a FPU, we can add an
optional FPU selection in the config.in file.

To be complete, I probably would add a check for the existence of FPU, if we
can infer from PrID, when FPU config option is enabled.

Jun